Retrieve payment to an incorrect account

Last updated: 23/08/2017 04.35 PM

I made an electronic payment to the wrong person - how can I get it back?

If you make an electronic payment by mistake, the owner of the account it has been paid to will need to agree to return the money to you. 

We'll try to help you recover the payment by contacting the account owner.  This service is called a credit retrieval request and there is a fee as below.  There is no guarantee that the request will be successful.  



A credit retrieval fee of $100 may be charged. This fee applies to all requests, even if they aren't successful.


Please contact us to discuss your options:

  • Call ANZ on 0800 103 123. If you are overseas, call +64 4 472 7123 (toll charges apply)
  • Send us a Bank Mail request via ANZ Internet Banking
  • visit any ANZ branch in New Zealand with Photo ID

Contact us

By phone

on 0800 269 296

6am to 12 midnight,
7days a week


Contact us online

Visit an ANZ branch

Find your nearest branch